Below are some percussion and music education links we believe to be helpful to the cause of improving and supporting music education. If you want to submit a link you think is helpful or resourceful, please contact Perc Up and let us know!
Music Educator Links sorted by state MENC Members
A drum and percussion community for drummers and percussionists from around the world; novice to professional.
LotPatrol World Marching Percussion – All marching percussion all the time!! Marching percussion/drumline interviews, media, chat, and more!
Various Music Education and Music Organizational Links
MENC – Music Educators National Conference
Arts Recognition and Talent Search
ArtsEdNet (Getty Center)
British Journal of Music Education
Children’s Music Web
Congress, U.S., Information Site
From the Top — national radio program featuring top young classical musicians
GAMA: Guitar and Accessories Manufacturers Association
International Foundation for Music Research
International Society for Music Education
Music Education Research
Music for the Nation: American Sheet Music
Music from the Inside Out
The Music Publishers Association
Musician Health Survey (University of North Texas)
NAEP: National Assessment of Educational Progress in the Arts
NAMM: The International Music Products Association
The National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences
The American Music Conference
National Endowment for the Arts
National Music Publishers Association / Harry Fox Agency
National School Boards Association
The New York Philharmonic Kidzone!
Research Perspectives in Music Education — the official research journal of the Florida Music Educators Association
Sesame Street Music Works
Smithsonian Jazz/Jazz Appreciation Month
State Music Educators Associations
Take Note! A Center for Teaching and Learning About the Orchestra
TeacherVision — lesson plans and classroom management resources
Technology Institute for Music Educators
Think Drums Rudiment Resource
The U.S. Copyright Office
U.S. Department of Education Publications and Products
VH1 Save the Music
Why is music education important for students?
* Music students scored higher on 2009 SAT tests. – 2009 College Board web site
* “At risk” students cite participation in arts as reason to stay in school.
* Music helps us to better understand our motives, fears, desires, memories, and to communicate more broadly. – Levitin, This is Your Brain on Music
* Music bonds people together for healthy social interaction. – Cornett
* Music helps young people connect with themselves, and is a bridge for connecting with others. – Daniel Carp, Eastman Kodak Co. Chairman and CEO
Why is music education important for parents?
* 93% agree: the arts are vital to a well-rounded education. – 2005 Harris Poll
* Schools with music programs have significantly higher graduation rates (90.2% vs. 72.9%) – National Association of Music Educators (MENC)
* Music education enhances cooperative learning, instills disciplined work habits, and correlates with gains in standardized test scores.
* Studies of K4 and K5 children: the more music skills, the greater their… reading development. – Anvari, Trainor, Woodside, & Levy, 2002
* Students of music outperform non-arts peers on the SAT. – The College Board